There are certain steps to take after a DUI conviction in NC. Learn about the steps and how drivers can still get affordable insurance coverage.
Steps to Take After a DUI Arrest in NC
DUI consequences in NC can vary based on whether it is the first time you have been arrested for driving under the influence. The following provides an overview of what happens after a DUI arrest:
- If charged and arrested, you either go to jail or home on your “own recognizance.”
- You may lose your driver’s license for 30 days.
- Some people receive a DWI Assessment, which gives them a permit to drive in 10 days.
- You can hire a qualified attorney for representation.
- Some cases may go to trial.
- Get your licensed back, obey any court orders and move on with your life.
Depending on the circumstances, an attorney may help you negotiate a lesser charge, such as “reckless driving.”
What is a DUI in NC?
A DUI or DWI is listed under the law in North Carolina as:
- Being under the influence of a substance that impairs while driving
- Having a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or more
- Having any amount of a Schedule I controlled substance, such as opiates, amphetamines or heroin in the urine or blood
Is it a first offense DUI in NC?
If it is the first time that you have a DUI offense, you may pay a fine. According to local laws, the minimum jail sentence for even the least serious offense classification (Level V) is 24 hours. However, the court of law may suspend the jail time and just impose a fine.
The DUI cost in NC for a first offense may be $200. The DUI/DWI classification determines the fine.
Is a DUI a felony in NC?
A DUI in itself is not a felony. However, with North Carolina having the strictest laws for a DUI felony, prison time may be the result in DUI charges in NC that are considered a felony. To fall under the category of a felonious offense, criminal charges would have to be filed.
Getting Car Insurance
You can find car insurance quotes in NC after you have been convicted of a DUI. Special insurance covers you so that you can drive safely again. I can cover you at an affordable price and will not drop your coverage.
If you have recently been convicted of a DUI for the first time, I can help. Contact me today for more information.